Tuesday, July 17, 2012

PHOTOGRAPHS, THEN AND NOW 2: CLASS PICTURES


As I mentioned, my grandfather on my Mom's side was already in the photography business and during the 40s and 50s, he already had a Studio in Cebu and usually gets the Studio Portrait shots, Family pictures and of course, Class Pictures! Don't forget... they also had the great talent of retouching!


It started off with the Black and White photographs and Sepia, too before it evolved to the Color pictures we are now used to.

I guess, we have mixed feelings when we go over our Class Pictures. We laugh at how we look... we ask ourselves where our classmates are now... and wonder how they would look too.


These pictures were mostly taken by professional photographers, but some are not so well copied from the original.


When we were kids, we usually had a very formal Class picture usually on the stairs to make sure everyone is seen.
late 1960s: With Sr. Amandina, our very dear Belgian nun
 in St. Theresa's College 
mid 1970s: still black and white and standing on the steps
late 1970s: colored and no longer on the steps

early 1980s: colored but I wasn't able to scan this from the original photo
mid 1980s: colored and see how behaved we were... but they still followed the traditional Class picture with us on the steps

early 1990s
early 1990s as Philippine delegate
These days, it is hard to get a formal class picture and there has to be several wacky shots!


Here are more informal group shots...
early 1980s: the color of the photo has become reddish as the effect of acid on old photos... therefore, the term ACID-FREE albums to keep the pictures from fading or becoming red... 
early 1980s: colored and more relaxed pose = = better picture quality (film)
mid 1980s
early 1990s
And when we graduated or for yearbooks, it had to be the retouched black-and-white photo! But, when I looked through my pictures, I also had colored pictures for the yearbook, too.
late 1970s
early 1980s: now colored
late 1980s: back to black and white
late 1980s: still black and white
You must be wondering why I still have all these pictures. Again, I am a "CHRONICLER" as my Junior, Kaye R. De B. said. I am into documentation rather than the artist-photographer! 

PHOTOGRAPHY has leveled up to a higher level of SCIENCE and ART... and COMMUNICATION!!! 


These photos have shared a lot on how we have journeyed in life...
And will further document whatever we will discover in the years ahead.

But, I guess at the end of this blog, one of the things you would ponder about is...
How old must I be? 

2 comments:

  1. Hello!
    This is 8 years into the future seeing that you have posted this in 2012. It's amazing to see photographs of old photos and despite being only 21 today I feel a sense of nostalgia in these photos, as if I have lived them once before. I discovered this page when I was searching for pictures in google of a school that I used to attend and have come across your photos of you as little girl posing for a class photo for St. Theresa's College. It's amazing to see how time is just a linear thread that continues to unravel, connecting all of us as threaded beads and charms. What part of the school did you take that photo? and have you visited the campus recently?
    I would be glad to receive your reply!

    ReplyDelete