Sunday, July 14, 2013

RIZAL PLAQUES IN GERMANY AND SWITZERLAND @ 2013

I am sharing a link about our national hero, Dr. Jose Rizal and his stay in Germany taken from the German Embassy Manila site.
Rizal in Germany

Philippine National Hero Dr. Jose Rizal is probably one of the most well-known Filipinos who lived in Germany. Born on 19 June 1861 he arrived in Heidelberg in February 1886 after he had studied medicine in Spain. Rizal spent a significant part of his life studying Ophthalmology in the town of Heidelberg and Wilhelmsfeld with the aim of operating his almost blind mother, in which he later succeeded.

The beauty of the blooming flowers in springtime inspired Rizal to write one of his best poems, "A las flores de Heidelberg" (To the flowers of Heidelberg) evokingintense emotions of longing for his homeland.

Today, a golden plaque in Heidelberg’s Bergheimerstraße 20 reminds visitors that Jose Rizal, an avid supporter of reforms in his Spanish-ruled home country, once worked there at the university eye clinic.

Rizal’s most famous works of literature include Noli me tangere (translated as ‘A Social Cancer’) and El Filibusterismo. Both novels depict the ills of a society ruled by the Spanish government and clergy. Rizal portrayed corruption and abuse under the Spanish colonial rule at that time. After he had started to write Noli in Spain, Rizal completed its final part in Berlin, where it was published in 1887.

Rizal travelled extensively in Germany. The places he visited included Wilhelmsfeld, where a statue was built in his honor, Koblenz, Cologne, Bonn and Leipzig.

As a result of his works which are said to have encouraged a desire for change, his works were banned in parts of the Philippines by the Spanish and Rizal was charged with revolt and rebellion.

On December 30, 1896, the poet and doctor was killed by firing squad in Manila in what is called Rizal park today. A statue and mausoleum which contains his remains were built in honor of the country's national hero.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I really looked forward to what I might find about Dr. Jose Rizal in Heidelberg, Germany...

The lady in the hotel was apologetic that she couldn't help me find Dr. Jose Rizal's monument which I said was in Wilhelmsfeld. However, she shared that while walking towards the NH Hotel from Bismarckplatz, she read the Plaque outside the Augen Clinic honoring our National  Hero, so of course, I had to go there and actually, it is just in the main street.

Here is the Building in Bergheimer Strasse...

And this is the Plaque!





However, I felt sad that I wasn't able to find the plaque at Lutwigsplatz No. 12 in Heidelberg, which I really tried to find. I really walked around but I guess I wasn't that good with the map!

But to add to the 'NEW THINGS I LEARNED" during that trip, Dr. Jose Rizal also had a Marker at Schaffhaussen, Switzerland, a beautiful small Swiss town where we see the majestic Rheinfall, at the German border!
Rizal visited the top attraction of Schaffhausen, the Rheinfall (Rhine Falls), which is considered as the largest waterfalls in Central Europe.  The waterfalls measure 150 meters wide and 22 meters deep.


On the occasion of the 100th birth anniversary of Dr. Rizal in 1961, a memorial plaque was installed on the front facade of the Hotel Muller on December 20, 1961 by H.E. Tomas de Castro, Philippine Ambassador to Switzerland
My son and hubby found the landmark when our friends who were Ciudad Medical Zamboanga nurses brought them to the place. Thanks to Fil-Am and Amy for the tour and the pictures!

Very interesting  for me to know that our national hero brought pride to our country as early as the 19th Century! Let him be our inspiration for us to also aspire for excellence!


3 comments:

  1. That's interesting! I'm kind of a fan of Rizal since I enjoyed his books and the history subject that's all about him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Rizal was great! If I am to backtrack life, I would love to visit his time and meet him just to tell him how great he is.

    P.S. I thought Noli Me Tangere if translated to English means Touch me Not. HAHAHA

    ReplyDelete